Thursday, June 28, 2012

Closet Weeding: The Big Chore

I moving. Back to Chicago. Anyone who is a woman knows that this will take approximately 6.2 U-Hauls and a small cart and pony, but per usual man and small apartment regulations, my closet must fit in a small Ford Ranger. Oh help.
My plan of attack for this particular feat, I shall have to admit, is not very organized.
Here's what I have come up with so far:
The Pile
Like I said. Not very organized. My original game plan of pulling everything out and seeing if I wanted it was not the best idea that I've ever had.

~6 Hours Later (give or take a day)~

There are many struggles that I encountered during this stressful time, but I shall spare you the gory details. In the end, I wound up with 3 piles**:
  • the "omg, I wore that?! Seriously, just Goodwill that" pile
  • the "awwww, I liked that, but I'm not 17 anymore, and I've lost weight, but I can sell this" pile
  • the "hell no, I'm not getting rid of that" pile
All of this turned out quite well. Goodwill has been appeased with the yearly (let's be real, bi-annual) donation of goods, and I have a handy plastic tote full of clothes that I might get about $2 for on consignment (hey, I'm a poor fashionista, every bit counts towards new shoes). Of course, I may go the eBay route, also known as "the world's biggest yard sale" route. But all that, dear readers, is irrelevant in light of the fact that I have now purged my closet of unwanted clothes and....I can fill it with wanted ones.

**To be quite honest, I would have made a 4th pile, the "I really don't wear this except for in situations when I have to be professional and really boring looking" pile, but that would have just caused more of the aforementioned struggles. 

~7 Hours Later (give or take a day)~

I was good! I only bought two bodycon skirts and a couple tube top devices. I used to be afraid of such devices; the horror of thinking that I had purchased an adorable skirt only to see some girl wearing it as a top later at a party was almost too much to bear. Thankfully, I have since learned to distinguish between "skirt" and "tube top." 
My goal for this shopping outing was to replace the 20-30 some odd pieces of clothing that I had discarded with about 4-5 pieces of clothing that I would actually wear. Replacing all 20-30 pieces would have been a dream come true, but highly impractical, and very expensive. Success! The skirts have that amazing ability to be either longish or shortish and with the right tops they can be worn clubbing or just out(ish); the tops can be worn under sweaters or by themselves on a sunny day. Or a 100 degree day, as Chicago is currently experiencing. It's better to have a few mix and match pieces that will wear for awhile than 30 of those things that you bought because they were "in style" for about, oh, a day. 
My goal for this summer is to create the "classic wardrobe." (And there really is a WikiHow for everything: http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Classic-Wardrobe) Not only will I be attempting to create the classic wardrobe, I will try and do it in the most inexpensive way possible. This may not go well, but I'm not about to get myself down. Keep in mind that women's fashions change approximately every three weeks (give or take a year), so the classic wardrobe might need a few tweaks. I will, of course, keep you updated. Stay tuned...

#YOLO XOXO



No comments:

Post a Comment